Thursday, July 15, 2010

Playing Matchmaker, i.e. My Brother Might Kill Me!

When I read that Kelly was doing a Friday spotlight on great single guys, I immediately thought about my brother, Judd!  I had to twist his arm and then twist it some more for him to let me do this, so today I'm playing matchmaker!  I thought about doing it without telling him, but I knew that would not be good!



I'm more than a little biased, but my brother is a great catch, if I do say so myself.  Lately, I've been praying for someone that will be the perfect match for him and a sister for me!  I don't have a sister so I've always thought whoever Judd married would be like a built-in sister to me.  I pray that God has the perfect girl picked out for him, whether it be here in Arkansas (he's thinking about moving, who knows?!)  or our homestate of Alabama. 

This sound awful, but I'm going make a little list of facts about him: (Judd, I KNOW you're dying here and I'm SO sorry but I just had to do this!!)

-Judd has a bachelors degree in political science and a Masters in Public Administration from THE University of Alabama.  Auburn girls, need not apply (I'm just kidding, we might accept an Auburn fan into our crimson and white family!)

-I know he would be looking for a Christian girl with family values.

Judd as a groomsmen at our wedding.




-Judd is very interested in politics and at one time had two political blogs of his own.  He knows A LOT about history and tons of stuff about politics.  I hate politics.  I constantly call and ask him questions about conservative, Republican stuff that I just don't have the time or care to look into.

Our whole family (minus Jordan!) last Mother's Day




-He is super funny!  Judd has a quiet, dry sense of humor.  We're always laughing when he's around!

-Judd is the middle child and the only one in our family who is tall, thin, blond-headed and blue-eyed.  He never seems to put on weight, and I hate him for it!

Here he is pushing John Michael (his nephew!) in his favorite red car!




-He has the most amazing life story of almost anyone you'll ever meet.  What he's lived through, endured and conquered over the last 10 years would put most people's mundane lives to shame.  God has done wonderful and amazing things with his life.  I'm hoping he'll write a book one day!

Judd with baby John Michael. He is such a great uncle to our boys!




-We loooove us some Alabama football in our family and football season is super-important.  Judd played most all sports in middle and high school and was very active in his fraternity. He practically ran freshman orientation at Alabama for a few years.  Roll Tide.

-He is very neat and clean.  Everyday in high school I would walk past his door on the way out the door for school and his bed was made every, single day!  He's definitely the neatest person in our family!  He likes things nice and tidy!

-Our mom is all about good, Southern etiquette, so the boy has some manners!

Judd with John Michael at Magic Burger, home of yummy burgers and grape ice cream!




-Judd has been a totally awesome uncle to our boys, as has Uncle Ray.  They love these boys to no end!  On our last trip home I got to see how great he was with helping John Michael with things and he even fed Matthew and changed him one day when I was passed out asleep from being up with two children with high fevers during the night.  He helped me a lot just by holding Matthew and playing with him.



-And lastly, and most importantly, he just has a great heart.  When you grow up having a sibling with a disability as we do, you just have to have a caring heart.  You are different than families that don't have someone with a disabilty.  Not worse or better, just different.  You grow up automatically doing things to help them like helping getting them ready for school or fixing them breakfast or a sandwhich for lunch.  As we've grown up this has not changed for Judd (and myself when I'm at home).  He still cares for Ray and helps him with day-to-day things.  Things like that speak volumes about a person's character.

OK, I suppose I've embarrassed him enough!  Hopefully he won't mind me posting about him!  Who doesn't like bragging on their brother?!

-

21 comments:

courtney stephenson said...

sooooo I think your brother is precious and my sister is single :) I read your blog all the time by the way! My sister is Lindsay, 29, single, teaches 4th grade in Dallas, TX. She worked as a financial analyst for American Airlines for 6 years before changing careers to teach. She likes to run and ran the Nike Women's Marathon in San Fran. She is super involved with her church in Dallas - Park Cities Baptist. She taught Sunday School for 2 years.....they would be sooooo cute! My email is CourtneyEStephenson@gmail.com if you want pictures :) There's some on my blog too!

Jennifer Minor said...

Hi, Mary! I'm also from AL and have a single girl friend. I would love to correspond more with you and tell you all about her. She's also from AL!!! And a Tide Fan!! Please email me as I would rather not publish to much publicly. She is 29 by the way and an amazing Godly woman!! jmminor@hotmail.com

Lindsay said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile and your boys are just precious! I started reading your blog especially when I found out you were from Alabama, because that's where I live! I live in Southeast Alabama and am 20 (a little young for him), and a junior in college. I am very family oriented and spend as much time with family as I can! Your brother seems like such a sweetheart and I just know his heart is full of gold! I am an Auburn fan..sorry!! However, I have lots of friends in Tuscaloosa and my aunt and uncle just moved there, so I am there a lot..especially during football :) If you'd like to e-mail me, please feel free! I just know that God has placed someone special on Earth for your brother just like all the other single guys posted on Kkelly's Korner, and I hope he finds her :) Have a great weekend!

Lindy said...

Hi Mary! I'm a 29 year old single Christian girl in Atlanta, Ga. Your brother is adorable and oh so handsome. I love football, cooking, church and my family. I would love to send you some pictures!

Shannon said...

Hey! I don't really live very close, but I thought I could just pass on my info just in case :)

I posted a little "all about me" on my blog
http://shannonlouiseblogg.blogspot.com/2010/07/show-us-your-life.html

Thanks!
-Shannon

stacey said...

ROLL TIDE!! from Huntsville

-stacey
taylorst@netscape.com

leah said...

I would love to tell you about my sister. Can you please email me?
She is 32 and lives in Tuscaloosa, Alabama (Roll Tide). She is a wonderful Christian lady, with an amazing testimony.

Brooke said...

Your brother seems like a great catch!
My blog is http://asoutherngirlsoundsoff.blogspot.com. It hasn't been updated in months but there are a few pictures on there. I'm a Georgia girl so I don't know if he would be interested but just in case...my email is Brookee214@yahoo.com.

Jill said...

Yikes...so this would be much more comfortable if I was suggesting someone else. But I'm not...I'm the one that's single! ack!

I live in North Alabama, 34 yrs old, huge Alabama fan, I have 4 precious children, getting a masters degree in Psychology/Christian counseling, run marathons (currently training for another one), love a sense of humor b/c laughter is some of the best medicine, and most of all...I love the Lord and am humbled that He chooses to love me first! Life has had its heartaches, but I've found a love that's like no other, a Father who Redeems and makes all things new! I'm trusting His plan...for He's never been wrong before!! :)

Judd seems like a great guy (love the name too), my best wishes to him...and if he lives in Alabama (I wasn't clear on where he actually lives)....maybe we should meet up for some ALABAMA FOOTBALL!!

Rebekah said...

Hi Mary! This is weird for me because normally I would NEVER do anything like this, but I figured why not? If it's in God's plan and meant to be then, it's meant to be. :) And such a fun idea of Kelly's! I mean really...who would ever have thought of this?!

Your brother is, in Courtney's words, precious! I'm 26, an accountant and live just over the Alabama line near Tupelo, MS. I didn't know where in Alabama y'all were or how old he is, but that obviously isn't stopping me. Ha!

After all the great things you said about your brother, the only problem I might have is that y'all are Tide fans! ;) I graduated from Ole Miss with my Bachelor's and Master's in Accountancy and was an orientation leader there, in the band, all that fun stuff. And I'm totally just kidding on the problem part, I just like to rib people from other schools :)

I'm a huge huge family person. I love my family more than anything except Jesus and they're the reason I moved back to Mississippi after two years working in Dallas. I'm the 3rd of 4 kids (girl, boy, me, girl) and I have a nephew and three nieces (the oldest, 4 1/2, is visiting this week for VBS! yay!!!!). Oh, and I'm really random...some people find it annoying but I like to think of it as endearing. ;)

I love God and the change He has made in me, over the past year particularly. Not that I was an awful human being before, I just wasn't really living for Him as I should be. I'm heavily involved with the youth at our church (I lead te 7th grade community group on Wednesday nights) and in women's and music ministry.

If you want to know more or want pictures or whatever, feel free to email me at rebekah.hebert (at) gmail.com or you can visit my blog. :)

Maybe something will work out for Judd through this, if not with me, then some other lucky girl! :)

P.S. In that picture with John Michael @ Magic Burger, Judd is TOTALLY repping Ole Miss! Ha! I thought that was funny :) The end!

Laura said...

Mary,
My two best friends are twins (Cameron and Caroline), both single: 2 for the price of 1! Just kidding! Either would be great for your brother. They are both sweet, Christian girls. They're 29, live in Birmingham. They both graduated from Birmingham Southern with degrees in Accounting. They are HUGE Bama fans. They come from a great family-they're the youngest of 5 kids. They love their 4 nephews and 2 nieces to pieces. When you said your brother was very neat and clean, I laughed, because the Cameron and Caroline are both orderly, organized, and neat. Let me know if you would like me to send you pictures! Thanks, Laura

Heather said...

I read this blog because the title said Alabama and I was born and raised in alabama and graduated from UA! Then I read the comment above, and thought it was crazy because I also teach in Dallas, tx and also go to Park cities.... Small world!

Shannon said...

I am friends with Kelly and think I may have met you at Harper's baby shower! I don't know if Hog fans are allowed, but I was definitely rooting for The Tide to beat Texas if that helps! Ha!
http://www.shannon-leigh.blogspot.com/

Allison said...

Hey- I live in Jasper, and I have an adorable friend. She is 35 and a college professor. She has never been married and is adorable. email me for more information!

cece said...

My friend who teaches with me is a wonderful, Christian woman. She is 34, fun,loyal,and very independent. She is also beautiful inside and out. If you think Judd would be interested in just chatting with her here is her email(she may have a heart attack with she sees what I have done) But I truly believe this girl deserves someone special. Here is her email.
tiffany@lfwc.us

Jennifer said...

You're post on your brother is so sweet! My name is Jennifer and I live in Birmingham, AL. I am 26 years old and am beginning my 5th year of teaching 4 year old kindergarten. I would love to talk to you more about your brother (if he is not taken yet!) and let you know more about me. My email is jenniferedrew@yahoo.com.

Hope to hear from you soon!

L said...

Hi,

I'm not really sure where your brother currently lives, but I'm in Alabama. Your brother sounds like a great guy and I would love to know more about him. Feel free to email me at lili4ua@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you! :)

Leah said...

I have a great single friend and she lives in Tuscaloosa (Roll Tide!) She's never been married, has her doctorate degree in audiology and she's a red head :) She's also very close with her parents and a great Christian girl. Email me for more information!

Katy said...

I am an auburn grad (ha i understand that might eliminate me). I am an attorney in Mississippi but due to my love of college football, I am constantly in alabama. I love college football, politics (though admittedly, it has worn on me recently due to the lack of republican leadership), traveling, board games and family

I grew up in MS, graduated from Auburn (war eagle) in 06 and then went to Ole Miss law and now am an attorney in MS.

Your brother sounds like an amazing man and I see why you want to help find him a great girl. My email is kcbraden@gmail.com if you would like to contact me.

Katy said...

also my blog which I am bad at updating is 20somethingjacksonian.blogspot.com

War Eagle!

debbie said...

debbie said...

HI,
I love that Kelly did this and would like to suggest he take a look at my friend's blog where she just posted pictures of a family visit with their daughter Amy(27) Amy is in Birmingham Alabama, and works with Student Life Ministry. She is one of the most lovely, fun girls we have ever met. She is getting ready to complete her master's degree as well
here is the blog address for my friend...
http://whatmattersmost-carol.blogspot.com. Amy can be e-mailed at aharlan@yahoo.com