Friday, February 12, 2010

Guess Where, Take Two

Any guesses where I am?!



You can't find meals like this in Arkansas.  Well, you might could.  If you know where let me know!


----------------------------------


Y'all had some pretty good guesses!  You were all wrong, though.  This delicious plate full of artery-clogging goodness was found along I-40 at The Old Sawmill Cafe.  It's right before Memphis.  It was a bit of a hole in the wall, but the parking lot was full, so we knew it would be good.  We were the only people in there with a child and JM screamed a lot while we were there.  We got some funny looks for sure.



We found this delightful place on our drive back to Alabama for a visit with family.  I cannot begin to describe how awful our trip was.  Parts of it were very good and the boys were good, for the most part.  BUT, when they started melting down...they melted down.  And it was bad.



At one point I was almost in tears because both boys were screaming so hard.  I wanted to gauge my eye out with the gear shift.  Either way, we made it safe and sound in only 14 hours.  We were exhausted!  Our lovely little fluff, Jackson, woke us up at 6 am and JM and I couldn't go back to sleep so we just got on up.  He'd better not pull that stuff tonight or he's going to be in trouble!


I never knew quite how homesick I have been for some Southern Comforts.  Here are just a few examples:


-This morning as I watched Fox 6 I just about was rolling in the floor as I listened to this really old woman that called in to talk about the "guv-uh-nuh" (that's governor) and how he should be ehm-peeeched.  I didn't quite know I had missed hearing how The Greatest Generation talks in their slow, stately Southern dialect.  I miss that.


-As I filled my plate at The Old Sawmill Cafe, I almost squealed in delight at the sight of pickled green tomatoes, pickled okra, and english pea salad.  I almost teared up when the lady beside me said "sugah" and "baby". 


-Being back in Tuscaloosa again, I am now aware of why people say that Tuscaloosa is a drinking town with a football problem.  Being away from all that for a while now and living in a dry county, I really get that slogan!  There's a whole lotta drinking in this town.


-And last, but not least, it's so nice to walk into your grandparent's home and hear:  How are 'ya, have 'ya eaten yet?  Family knows how to feed you!


There will be more to come, be sure of that!  I found a tiny little spot in my grandfather's dining room where I can get just a teeny bit of internet connection!  Thank you, Lord!


 


 

4 comments:

Vonda said...

Monte Chicken in Rogers, we will have to take you, Jordan and the boys. It is served family style. I have heard that Bud's Chicken in Bentonville is served the same way.

jess nix said...

i was going to say monte ne too! sooooo gooooood! we always leave so miserable. bud's is pretty good but monte ne is fabulous. this is where my little cousins learned what "chicken on the bone" was...they always had chicken nuggets or strips and never saw fried chicken!!!

Susy said...

I come over from Kelly's Korner on occasion to see your cute boys, and I couldn't help but comment on this post!
The first thing I thought of was Monte Inn (just like Vonda suggested)! It's sooo yummy, and whenever I visit NWA in the spring or summer I must go there! I have family there, and I'm a UofA alum, and now I live in NYC...there's really nothing like that up here! It's seasonal, so they aren't open in the winter, but it's worth it when they are open! I'm already craving it!

Mendi McCormick said...

Lamberts? They have the best veggie plate!