Monday, August 3, 2009

What We've Been Up To

**Apparently pregnancy brain is getting the best of me today.  I didn't include the directions for my squash casserole.  This makes two things I messed up in a big way in one day....can anyone say we had to go to Chik-fil-A for dinner tonight instead of eating beef stew.  Long story.  Anyway, the directions are now below!!!!**


I realized this weekend that I haven't really taken many pictures of John Michael this week.  I feel so bad!  I started taking some pictures on Sunday so that should make me feel a little better! 



We've started to experience some clinginess and I'm noticing it in John Michael a little more each week.  I'm thinking it must be that age that we're coming upon.  He literally pushed Jordan away yesterday and really wanted mama most of the evening.  I hope Jordan doesn't take it personally!

So, anyway, moving on to other more important things...like food!  Can you believe these tomatoes came from our very own garden?!  We are so proud and they are so good.  I've been putting them on sammiches most everyday for lunch but now we're out, so I'm going to have to wait for the next round to ripen!



Also, I decided to make squash casserole since we had fresh squash from the Farmer's Market.  Here's a very Southern recipe straight from my mom.  It's not her recipe exactly but it's from the Junior League of Tuscaloosa cookbook and it really is a winner everytime!


Squash A 'La Bama


1 pound squash (I don't peel it)


½ stick margarine or butter


1 egg


½ cup mayonnaise             


2 tablespoons onion, chopped


2 tablespoons green pepper, chopped


1 cup grated cheese (sharp works well)


½ package cracker crumbs  (like saltines)


Chopped pimento for color


Salt and pepper to taste





Here are my little squashes ready to be boiled!
Here are my little squashes ready to be boiled!





 



 


 


Clean, slice, and boil squash until tender (do not overcook).  Drain squash well and mix with other ingredients.  Bake in a buttered casserole dish at 350 degrees for 30 – 35 minutes, or until bubbling and browning.  Serves 6.



Fresh from the oven!
Fresh from the oven!

Now, one more quick recipe!  Hang with me.  These rolls/biscuits are SO good.  They literally melt in your mouth and they only have 3 ingredients which makes them so easy to whip up.  I usually don't make them because when I am around them I tend to eat about 3 or 8 of them.  I'm not kidding!


Bisquick biscuits

2 cups Bisquick

1 cup sour cream

1 stick melted butter

Mix ingredients together until smooth.  Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a mini muffin tin bake 10-12 minutes.  In a larger muffin pan bake around 15 minutes.  YUM!

Here's a few pictures we took when we headed downtown to eat a picnic on the square.  We ate there for Jordan's birthday because we couldn't think of anything else to do.  This was just as fun as anything else because Jordan took the day off.  John Michael and I were very happy to have him around for the day!




 I love our town's square.  I think it's just precious and I love the fountain and shade trees.  Even in July, if you sit under those big ole trees you somehow stay cool!



And of course, John Michael spotted the clock.  He LOOVES clocks, so much so that I'm going to have to ask about it at our 15 month check up.  It's a bit odd.  "Ock, Ock!!" he says!



Have a happy week!

3 comments:

Jane (Gran/Grams) said...

We raided Nat's dad's garden a few days ago and brought home some yummy veggies. Just had a tomato sandwich and will be grilling some zucchini tonight. JM looks so cute that I could just eat him up! Glad y'all had fun!

Judy said...

I wanted to try your squash recipe. Do you boil the squash first? How long do you cook it and what degree oven?

Looks good!

Dana/Meme said...

Your tomatoes look great! The squash casserole and the easy biscuits are some of my favorites.
JM's hair is getting so long and lighter - don't dare cut it - he is too adorable!!!
The square is a nice, homey part to all of the new things and progress in NWA. I love the fountain, and it looks like JM does too. Glad you all got to spend Jordan's b'day together and do something fun!!!