Monday, March 30, 2009

Food, Family, and a Funeral

FInal farewells bid to a beloved family member
John Michael meeting Uncle John for the first time back in November!
John Michael meeting Uncle John for the first time back in November!

Uncle John was a Fantastic fellow, husband, father, uncle, and Christian man.  Oh yeah, and Crimson Tide Fan!



With Furrowed brows we say our  farwells,

Full-well knowing it's not the "true" end, as we'll see each other in the forever.

But, with a fussy baby at funeral visitation,

Go figure, we did not fare so well!
Who me?!  Fuss at a funeral?!
Who me?! Fuss at a funeral?!

Fine family visits, some for the first time.



Fun family time with favorite uncles!




Southern family feeds your soul with first-class desserts after funerals.
Do we have enough dessert for everyone?
Do we have enough dessert for everyone?


Finest fried Southern fare you've ever stuffed your face with!
Fantastic!
Fantastic!

Five-star famous food from City Cafe; had to go to get my college-food fix!  All this under five dollars, not a lot to fork out!



And yes....
And yes....



[caption id="attachment_720" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="I had to take two pictures because the food wouldn't fit in one picture."]I had to take two pictures because the food wouldn't fit in one picture.[/caption]


----------------------------------
Papaw and John Michael rocking.
Papaw and John Michael rocking.



[caption id="attachment_723" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Grandmother holding John Michael...and no, my child would not like a whole plate of ham!"]Grandmother holding John Michael...and no, my child would not like a whole plate of ham![/caption]


Family is so important.  It shapes our lives and makes us who we are.  As we all get older we do start to think of all those good-byes that are in our futures.  The one fantastically great part about knowing Jesus Christ and being saved by HIM is that it's not so sad or scary anymore.  We are promised a beautiful forever.  A forever where we'll sit by Jesus everyday and there will be no more sorrow, pain, or hurt.  What a faithful promise that we have!  If that doesn't make you smile, I don't know what will.

P.S.  WOW, there's a lot of food in this post!

3 comments:

Dana/Meme said...

Thank you for doing this post, my darling daughter! What a fitting tribute to a wonderful, fun and loving uncle, great uncle, and great great uncle to all of us! He will be SO missed.
And even under such unexpected circumstances, it was good to visit with loved family members. I have such wonderful and comforting memories of my aunt and uncle and 3 cousins. Their home just had "that" feel! You wanted to be there. And boy, did we have FUN!! Got into lots of childish mischief, but still felt loved.
And of course, in the South, especially at Southern Baptist churches, there was more food last week than anyone could "shake a stick at". My aunt's house could not hold any more. They sent food home with others, ate allot, and after stuffing her refrigerator and freezer, even resorted to packing some items into coolers. Something comforting about those types of foods. The fried chickens, stuffed eggs and potato salad, my favorites, vegetables, congealed salads, but my, my, the desserts!!! I sampled desserts from 2 neighbors I lived by for 15 years and have know since I was 5 years old - yummy (one was my favorite, homemade caramel cake) I try to get a piece of her cake every time I am back at my home church for "a something-or-other covered dish dinner". You know how Baptists are; doesn't take much of an occasion for everyone to bring a favorite dish to share. It is always so good, as well as the fellowship. Again, something about the comfort, love, and warmth when sharing a meal over good conversation and talking about times past.
So with tears streaming of the good memories of a wonderful uncle, I will close. People may start to think all we do is obsess over food - HA!
Love to all; we miss you greatly!

Kelly said...

This post made me hungry. I hate funerals.........but oh the funeral dinners (is that horrible to say????)

mark said...

I want to say - thank you for this!