Thursday, March 5, 2009

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

What a beautiful, warm day we had in Alabama today!  It was a wonderful day mainly because I finally got my hair cut and colored (yay!) and we took John Michael to a park.  I'm feeling so much better with a little color on my hair.  Some of you may know that I refuse to get my hair cut and colored by anyone else but my lady here in Alabama.  I've had it cut once by someone else in the almost 3 years I've lived in Arkansas.  I'm not sure why, but I can't bring myself to leave my hair to someone who could possibly mess it up.  I may never get over this fear of having someone mess up my hair!

On to the park!  This was JM's first visit to a real park and although we're sad that Daddy couldn't go with us, we all had a great time.  My brother, Judd went with us, as well as Gran and Gamps!



O promise he liked it...sort of.
I promise he liked it...sort of.




[caption id="attachment_626" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Uncle Judd is fun to slide with!"]Uncle Judd is fun to slide with![/caption]




[caption id="attachment_627" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Go Gram!"]Go Gram![/caption]




[caption id="attachment_628" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="This little guy walked ALL over that park!"]This little guy walked ALL over that park![/caption]


Now, Noccalula Falls is the name of this park and anyone who is from Etowah County grew up going to the Falls.  There was a lot of water going over the falls today so it was quite pretty.  There weren't as many ducks as I remember from childhood.  It was always fun to take bread to feed the ducks!



[caption id="attachment_629" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Noccalula herself."]Noccalula herself.[/caption]


The Falls are named for an old legend of an Indian princess named Noccalula.  Noccalula was the Indian chief's daughter and she was in love with another member of her tribe.  The chief refused to listen to his daughter and ordered her to marry another, more wealthy member of the tribe.  As legend has it, "one leap and her troubles were over."  Noccalula lept to her death with a broken heart.  Uplifting legend, huh?  It IS pretty, though!





Daffoldils+John Michael=precious, precious, precious






[caption id="attachment_637" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Oh, I haven't been on a swing in ages!!!"]Oh, I haven't been on a swing in ages!!![/caption]



And, of course, we had to go across the parking lot to Jack's and get some sweet tea and a little burger.  They used to have grape ice cream, but not anymore.  So sad.  It's really hard to find nowadays.  JM did great a Jack's!  He ate his little Cheerios and played and looked so precious.



Verse O' the Day:

The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.

Exodus 14:14

8 comments:

Julie said...

I would LOVE some company when you guys get back to town. I'm getting so bored--AAHH!!

Missy said...

I cannot believe they don't have grape ice cream anymore....you could try the big chief in Glencoe next time...they used to have it too. Missy

Joan said...

I haven't been to the falls in soooo long. I need to make the husband go with me one day.

Julie Payne said...

Mary, I loved the picture of Jane and JM going down the slide! Can I get an 8X10 of that??????? JM is precious! And my hubby appreciated the plug for the falls, he is the dir. of Parks and Rec!

Jordan Wigley said...

I just now saw this post, since this is the first time I've had a computer on all weekend. My little man sure does look bigger, even though y'all have only been gone a week. Oh, and I really like your haircut too! Looks great on you!!

I miss you both so very much, but at least these pictures will hold me over for another day. See you both tomorrow! Love you!

Joan said...

Jordan, you're too sweet! I'm so glad I betrayed her trust and told you she liked you 9 years ago. :) HA!

Dana/Meme said...

Grape ice cream can be found at an older burger place near Attalla, on far West Meighan Blvd. (before you get to the underpass old bridge going into Attalla)
Judd loves grape ice cream too. We used to get it at the Colombo Yogurt and Ice Cream Parlor in Rainbow City - sadly, it is closed now!

There’s Something About Mary… » A Trip to The Falls said...

[...] and we took him when he was around 9 or 10 months, too…I think!  Here’s the post from March and here’s the post from last [...]