Thursday, January 22, 2009

Toad the Wet Sprocket, Anyone?

Caution:  If you were born before 1980, you might not find this post interesting!

A high school friend of mine gave me a great present for Christmas this year.  She burned four whole CDs of high school and some college music.  It was the biggest mix of random stuff!  As I drove around today I finally got around to listening to some of the songs and I was instantly 16 again.  You know, the songs that you played when only one of you had a car and everyone rode in that one car because they turned 16 first!  You know who you are, you read my blog!  Or the songs that made you think about a certain boyfriend or the songs that you played just driving around town with nothing to do.   Our little group listened to a variety of songs, as we were not all the same in our musical tastes.  We tore up our Dave Matthews CDs though.  I still love Dave to this day!  The songs that defined our high school years to me were ALL on these CDs: Semisonic, Aerosmith, Better Than Ezra, The Wallflowers, Sugar Ray, Beastie Boys, John Mayer, Matchbox Twenty, Counting Crows, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Goo Goo Dolls, Phish, Widespread Panic, and Barenaked Ladies - just to name a few.

We also listened to our fair share of Tu-Pac.  Sorry mom, I hid the CD from you because I would not have been allowed to own anything like that if you had known!  Southern, white, middle-class females=gangsta, right?  My musical tastes have changed a lot in the last few years.  I wouldn't really listen to Tu-Pac anymore nor do I identify with Widespread Panic anymore.  I hardly even turn on the radio in the car anymore, and when I do I can't seem to find anything that I like except for KLRC.  I am, indeed, old now.

Since I'm all old and stuff, I have a baby that I took to playgroup today!  We had a great time and John Michael got to play with Sarah Kate some more!  He really likes her and always wants to pull her and take her pacifier away!  I have to watch him to make sure he doesn't pull her all the way over!
They both have such blue eyes!
They both have such blue eyes!




I didn't get around to taking any pictures of the other kiddos with all the pizza and cupcakes around!  I was a little preoccupied with feeding myself and John Michael!


Tomorrow we are planning on having a family fun day!  Jordan is off and we are going to head to Tulsa to visit Kelly for just a quick little bit and then possibly head to the Tulsa Aquarium.  Jordan and I went there a few years ago when we were still dating and I was flying up to visit.  We figured John Michael would enjoy looking at the fish.  He's only 8 months old, but maybe he'll like it and maybe he won't scream all day.  We can only hope.



Verse O' the Day: 

“Can anyone hide himself in secret places, so I shall not see him?” says the LORD; “Do I not fill heaven and earth?”

Jeremiah 23:24

7 comments:

Jane (Gran/Grams) said...

How adorable the two of them are playing together!!!! It sounds like y'all have a great day planned for tomorrow. Please tell Kelly that we still have Harper and their whole family in our prayers and that we are thrilled to see that Harper's numbers have improved so much!!! We know that the Lord has revealed HImself to so many people through their situation...to many who may not have known Him otherwise. We can't wait to see pictures of JM and Harper in play group together. Harper may give Sarah Kate some competion!!! haha Y'all have fun tomorrow.

Heather said...

Ok, I am totally laughing now, I was born in 80 and loved all that music! My mother would have freaked out if she knew that I listened to Tu-Pac!! ha ha, I am so laughing out loud now, I was just thinking about this the other day!! My husband turned me on to Toad the Wet Sprocket and we still love them!! I found your blog through kelly's korner and I am glad I checked it out!! Great post!!

Lindsey said...

Hahaha!!!! I love the post and I still love Dave too! It's hard to imagine that we were 16 ten years ago.

I am so excited to see the progress that Harper and Brayden are making! PTL! We are still praying every day and can't wait to see them both get to go home.

Have a great trip tomorrow!

Dana/Meme said...

Well, evidently SOMEONE can hide things in a dark closet (or where ever you hid a Tu-Pac CD). Some of the others I did not approve of either!
But you made it through adolescence and have turned out beautifully!!
The first part of your blog post sounds exactly like it could have been talking about me from about 1968 - 1972, or so. We did the same things, only we had a car radio to start with then later the good ole' 8 track tapes!!! How fun they were. But we had great time cruising and singing!
I am so glad y'all are getting a family day, and I cannot think of a better place to be going. Please tell Kelly that I am reading everything I can find about Harper and Brayden. I love her father's blog! How lucky she is to have parents like she does. Tell her they have been on our hearts and in our fervent prayers and will continue to be. We are so thankful for the progress made, especially today. Tell her I know what it is like, as we have been there. I have especially been able to identify and empathize with her as a new mother with a baby in the NICU and very critical.
Hope JM loves the little fishes and that all 3 of you have a wonderful day.
Love and kisses to all!

laurie said...

They sure are a cute couple! I don't know...........
Have a great Tulsa trip!

Erin said...

I love it! Fun to reminisce about the music. I am excited that I'll be able to start coming to play dates.
Have fun in Tulsa and tell Scott and Kelly we will continue to stay on our knees and give God the glory!

Joan said...

Hahaha. You know, all that driving around when we were 16 was probably some of the most fun I've ever had. You forgot Brak, tho. We listening to "I like Beans" about 50 times a night.

And Mrs. Maxwell, I didn't approve of the Tupac, either!

We are old. You know what I listen to in the car now? NPR. Constantly. I'm a old nerd.

I love JM's little ralph lauren sweater vest! Have a good time at the aquarium!