Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ice, Ice, Baby!

We are most definitely in the midst of an ice storm!  It's really quite pretty, and I can say that because we have power.  The minute my power goes off I am going to HATE that ice with a passion!  Luckily, we still have power and we're safe and warm.  Since it is so cold and all, I thought I would do two things:

1) share a neat-o crock pot recipe

2) share some ice pictures I took this morning

I found this recipe in my crockpot cookbook and I almost didn't make it because it's not really something we would normally eat.  I mean the base of this soup is beans, beans, and more beans.  With that said, it actually turned out pretty good and it is probably very low in fat.  I'm sure it's quite high in sodium, but at least it's low in fat!  I replaced the sausage it called for with turkey sausage and you can't tell at all.  I personally think that you could chunk just tons of vegetables in here and it would be great, too!

Sausage, Vegetable, and Bean Soup



1 1/4 cup dry Great Northern beans
1 14.5 oz can Italian-style tomatoes
1 14 oz can beef broth
3/4 lb Italian sausage links (I used turkey - much healthier)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 cup red wine or water (I used water)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried italian seasoning
1/2 of a 10 oz package of frozen spinach, thawed
1 large yellow squash or zucchini (I used zucchini)

Let beans soak overnight (or you can simmer them for 10 minutes and let stand 1 hour)


Combine all ingredients except zucchini and spinach.


Cook on low for 11-12 hours or high for 6-8 hours.  Squeeze liquid from spinach.  Stir spinach and zucchini into soup.  Cover and let stand 10 minutes.



For some reason John Michael spiked a low fever yesterday.  He napped for hours and I figured he might be getting sick.  It's a good thing that we're all home today just hanging out so that he can nap and get well.  He's not really sick, just a little fever.  Hopefully he'll be better soon.  If he were feeling better we could dress him up and take him outside for a few minutes to get his picture with his first snow.  Enjoy our ice pictures!







The gutter!
The gutter!







And YES, I'm aware that it's 70 degrees in Alabama today.  Nice!


Verse O' the Day:


For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.



Isaiah 41:13

3 comments:

Jane (Gran/Grams) said...

Sounds like a good recipe. I know that Nat would love it as it contains two of his favorites....beans and sausage! I'll be sure and try it...only not today(you know ...the 70 degrees and all)haha. The ice pictures are very pretty, as long as you are inside where its dry and warm. Hopefully JM's fever doesn't return today. It will do y'all good to just have a couple of PJ days!!!

Dana/Meme said...

When did you become such a great photographer? I think your "ice" pictures are just beautiful, mostly because you got up so close to your subject and you can see such detail.
Ice, snow, and all of that white stuff we go crazy about down here in the Deep South, is truly beautiful!! But after the ice storm we had a number of years ago and were without power, cable, etc. for days, it makes me hope we do not have ice again!!!!! You are right, as long as you are warm and inside, it IS beautiful! Everyone that has utilities, food and a warm house should thank God tonight, as there are soooo many that do not, and not all of them because of the present ice storm.
Hope JM is feeling better tonight and y'all have had a cozy and peaceful day at home! Love and kisses to all!

There’s Something About Mary… » Lazy, Lazy said...

[...] I took some really awesome pictures.  We had never been in ice that was that thick before!  Click here to check it out from last [...]