Monday, January 19, 2009

Have I Lost My Accent?

We've had a quiet, uneventful weekend.  We've spent the weekend in quite prayer, mostly, for Baby Brayden and Baby Harper.  I think that God is doing incredible things through these two tiny infants.  His plan and ideas are WAY bigger than we can know or even think about.  My main concern is for these parents.  I hope they are getting some amount of rest to gear up for the long road ahead.  I can't imagine being postpartum and everything that comes with that and then have this land in your lap.  They are very strong, indeed.

Happy Birthday to my Dad!  Today is not only MLK Day or Robert E. Lee's birthday, but it's mine and Jordan's dads birthday!  Jordan's dad passed a few years ago from cancer and I never got to meet him so I don't have any pictures of him.  We think it's neat that our dads share the same birthday!  Happy Birthday to you, Dads. We love you!  I love posting wedding pictures of all of us because we clean up quite nice!


It was August...in Alabama...in layers and layers of a gown, you get the picture!  It was HOT!






Jordan's step-dad, Nat, and Dad at the end of the day.  They were probably consulting each other on how much money they had spent over the last 48 hours!!!!



In other news, Jackson is finally groomed!  Yay!  He looks so great and smells good too.  No more vomit smell from him.  And speaking of vomit, I think that the stomach bug has finally run its course (crossing my fingers) for John Michael.  I kept feeding him so much rice cereal, that now I think we have the opposite problem than what the stomach bug left.  Time to get started back on pears and apricots!



I took snacks to our Shepherding A Child's Heart parenting class at church last night.  I was the first one signed up, so I just made a bunch of stuff to cover all the bases.  I didn't want to go first because I was going to wait and see what everyone else ended up bringing before I come up with my menu.  I made mini croissant turkey/ham sammiches, a veggie try with ranch, chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal raisin cookies, and spinach dip with fritos, and sweet tea.  I had a little problem with my sweet tea, though.  I made it fresh at home and it was still pretty darn hot when we got there.  I was banking on using the ice machine in the area where our class was.  Well, there was NO ICE to be had.  Yup, you guessed it, I served HOT SWEET TEA to our fellow church members.  I guess it couldn't be helped, but UGH!  Bad, bad southerner. 

Also, we met a lady in class who is from a town not 30 minutes away from our hometown in Alabama.  Weird, isn't it?  We even knew a few of the same people.  She was super nice but informed me that I don't sound very southern.  Excuse me...don't sound very southern?  She also said that Jordan sounded more southern than me.  This was a very, very, very sad day for me.  Have I been gone from the deep south for too long?  Is nearly 3 years enough to lose your Southern drawl?  Laws A Mucy and Heavens to Betsy, I hope not!  Actually, I'm quite devastated.  Jordan informed our new friend that when we go back home and I get around everyone else, then I sound more southern.  Thank you, babe!  I'm going to have to work on my Northern Alabama drawl.  I say this with a laugh because everyone knows that North Alabama dialect is not nearly as cool sounding as South Alabama.  None the less, as a forever true Southerner, I must work on not losing my accent!

Many, many people have asked me about my spinach dip recipe.  I tell you what, this recipe is EASY and it is SO GOOD.  Take it to any kind of shower or get together and it gets gone!  Put this dip around men and it gets gone even faster.  You simply follow the directions on the Knorr package that can be found on the soup aisle.  Now, you COULD serve this with veggies as the picture shows, but why do that when you can have Fritos Scoops with it?  Fritos make everything better and the saltiness goes with the smooth taste of the dip.  You have to let this dip sit overnight before you serve it.  It lets it get good and mushy and flavorful.  Oh, how I love spinach dip!  P.S.  Serving it in a bread bowl is extra yummy because at the end you can eat the bread that soaked up the dip!


Photo courtesy of Knorr.com


Knorr Spinach Dip


1 package frozen, chopped spinach


1 container (16 oz.) sour cream - the REAL kind


1 cup mayo - the REAL kind


1 package Knorr vegetable mix


1 can water chestnuts, drained and chopped


3 green onions, chopped


Combine all ingredients and chill!


Verse O' the Day:    neat verse, I've never really seen this one before


And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.



Hebrews 11:6

3 comments:

Dana/Meme said...

I'll leave the first comment on these topics!
I love seeing you post wedding pictures also; it was such a lovely time!!! You were the most beautiful and beaming bride I have ever seen, and Jordan very handsome!
I think you and Jordan are both losing your accents - they are almost gone! Every time I visit NWA, I never hear a Southern accent. It is sad! Just remember how Aunt Peggy talks and that will remind you of a Southern accent! Practice makes perfect. Everyone in NWA sounds very Mid-western. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just different!
I will give my expert (HA?) opinion on the spinach dip - superb!!! And you are right about the bread bowl. The best part is eating the parts of the bread bowl that have come in contact with the dip - yummy!
Praying for Harper and Brayden and their drs., nurses, families and friends!!! God's in control!

Jane (Gran/Grams) said...

What wonderful memories those pictures bring back to me!!! And I agree with your mom....you were so beautiful and my son looked so handsome. As far as the accent goes, I haven't really noticed either of you losing your accent. I lived in VA for over 7 years and I still had people teasing me about my accent.
I am also a fan of the spinach dip in a bread bowl...yummy!! You were the ultimate southern host...well except for the ice tea...and that was beyond your control. And if it's still as cold there as it is here...some warm sweet tea doesn't sound too bad! Nat and I are both praying for Harper and Brayden and watching as God continues to strengthen and comfort them all.

Joan said...

That spinach dip rocks. I love to make it for stuff because everyone compliments it but they have no idea how EASY it is.

As for the southern accent, I think mine has gotten SOOOO much worse since I've moved up on ole Sand Mountain. I like it though. I used to think southern accents made people sound stupid, but now i just think they're melodic and pretty.

Don't worry about losing yours. Beth's completely disappears when she's in NY or DC, but after 3 days in Bama, she sounds just as southern as me. :)