Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Why Not Wednesday

I am blogging while I should be getting dressed!  I am watching JM on the monitor moving all around the bed and not taking a nap!  I am also sitting on my bed watching our little fluff do his bichon blitz all around the backyard.  All I can see is a white streak of lightning going back and forth in the back yard.  He's so funny!  I feel bad that I can't always go play with him, but he's a dog and I'm busy!



Back to Why Not Wednesday.  On the long trip back home I was reading through Y'allmagazine and came upon an interesting article.  (You can't get that magazine up here, so I always swipe them from my parent's house!)  The article was about this family from Mississippi (I think) and how they were keeping the old family home place up by moving back from NYC to live in it.  IThey're a family of artists and there was so much stuff in that house, but it was kinda cool.  Paintings, road signs, portraits, and tons of pictures were stuffed in that old house.  One thing they talked about was how they use their china and silver service EVERY SINGLE DAY...gasp!  Being from a (probably very rich) southern family, they were just chock-full of silver and old family passed-down china.  Their silver pattern was the same as my mom's, Chantilly by Gorham; so pretty!  They had the attitude that if a piece got broken or chipped, it didn't matter because it was being used.  The lady stated that by using that fancy china doesn't make that cup of tea taste any better, but it brings her a little closer to her grandmother everytime she uses it.  They don't even bring paper plates into their home AND they used the china the whole time their kids were little.  That is very, very brave!

So I got to thinking, why DO we never use our "nice" china and flatware?  I grew up using it only a few times a year.  It's such a shame because it's so pretty and in a lot of cases, it means so much to us.  My mom has her grandmother's china and one day I am going to get my grandmother's china.  I love her china because I will be able to mix and match it with our own china because they both have gold edges.  We now own Jordan's grandmother's flatware along with the flatware from our wedding registry.  I love both!  I can just picture our kids eating off their great-grandmother's flatware and their other great-grandmother's china. 
Our flatware
Our flatware

 



Our wedding china
Our wedding china

I am going to try and make a BIG effort (and try not to cringe) to use our china and flatware, and perhaps even crystal, this Christmas season.  It will be hard but I really am going to try and eat that breakfast biscuit on a piece of fine china!  What a way to start your day!  So, why not?  Why not drag that china out and use it and think of your mom or grandmother, or if not, think of how you will pass it down one day.  YOUR great-grandkids could be eating off of your china for Easter or Christmas dinner one day!  If you don't have any, you could pick some pieces at yard sales.  I see them all the time!  Just check out Rhonda from Southern Hospitality!  Wow, what that woman can do with some yard sale finds!
Easiest centerpiece I ever made!

The table is set!
The table is set!

0 comments: