Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Adventures in Babyfood Making

Let me begin by saying:  Happy Veterans Day!  Both of my grandfathers served and Jordan's stepdad, Nat, served in the Air Force in Vietnam!  Papaw Farmer served in Korea and Papaw Maxwell served in the South Pacific. Thank you to all veterans for serving our country and keeping us all safe!


I spoke too soon when I said that we had no complications from yesterday's shots.  John Michael woke up with fever during the night.  It wasn't too high, but I had slacked off on my tylenol since he was sleeping so well.  Poor thing, he was all bundled up and we had the heat on AND he had fever.  I felt like a terrible mother.  Anyway, he's better today but we're just taking it easy.


This morning I decided to get started on making baby food.  I decided to do this a few months ago and I did my research and ordered two books on Amazon.com.  We had 3 pears in the fridge, so pears it was!  I peeled, chopped, and cooked them on the stove for about 20 minutes.



After they cooled I put them into our handy new mini blender that Gran bought for us!  Works like a charm.  I felt like I should put some more liquid in, so I put in water and pear juice.  I really have NO idea what I'm doing.  Just like all this baby stuff, I'm learning as I go.  I felt like it needed to be a little more runny for him since he's just starting out.



Yummy pears!
Yummy pears!

It made a pretty good bit, just to be 3 pears.  I've got to run to the store later today and buy ice cube trays so that I can freeze the leftovers.  Whenever I need food, I will just pop out however many "ice cubes" and thaw it out (so the books say).  If anyone has any tips about homemade baby food, please leave me a comment.  This is all very new.  We don't even own a highchair yet.  Aren't we terrible parents!


The Result......



Anticipating our first food!
Anticipating our first food!

Not so sure about this...
Not so sure about this...



[caption id="attachment_125" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="He might like it..."]He might like it...[/caption]


Happy, full baby!
Happy, full baby!

We'll see if he eats more of it tonight. He only ate about half of his rice cereal and the pears this afternoon.  It's so cold and dreary looking outside.  I really don't want to have to get out in it.  I'm afraid that this is going to be my attitude for the next 4 months or so.  I'm going to have to make myself get out and about and do things this winter so that John Michael and I don't get cabin fever.  It will be my third winter up here,  but I just can't get used to the cold wind, ice, and occasional snow.  I freeze constantly and my little heater from college is my constant companion throughout the winter.  Happy Tuesday everyone!

Verse of the Day:

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 139:23-24

4 comments:

Kelly Stamps said...

I'm pretty sure once Harper comes in January - we won't leave the house again until April. and I can't wait!!!!
I want to try making my own baby food. That seems smart and economical and probably better than store bought. John Michael sure looked like he enjoyed it!

Judy said...

I found your blog on my daughter's blogroll (Kelly's Korner) and I don't think I've ever been on your blog. I have to say that I always think babies are cute, but , truthfully, your little JM is a doll!! An all-American good lookin' boy if I say so!!

The pictures of him trying the pears are priceless! Isn't having a baby the best thing in the world??

Blessings to you and your sweet family!

Meredith said...

AWW that is so great you made baby food! John Michael is VERY cute! Come see me over at my blog! I love yours!

RYErnest said...

Nice post u have here :D Added to my RSS reader