Wednesday, August 4, 2010

So What If I Have Camel Spit On My Car?!

How did we get camel spit on our car?!




 

Well, yesterday we decided we were up for some adventure so we headed to the Wild Wilderness Animal Safari in Gentry!  We had a blast!  I had no idea how fun it was and how many amazing things they had there.  We totally ran out of time so I decided we'll have to come back on a Saturday with Jordan and spend a good portion of the day there!

On the way there we passed a herd of buffalo on a farm!  Buffalo are so cool!  John Michaled checked them out and then continued reading his book.  Would anyone happen to know why some buffalo are golden/blond color.  It's very odd.


Even though it was 84,000 degrees outside, we were in the shade for the most part and there was a nice breeze, so we weren't really that hot.  Both boys were ready for some animal-watchin' with their hats on! 



John Michael had to get an up-close look at a  little monkey!  We did NOT join the line to have a turn to go in and pet them.  No thank you.



Sweet Baby Matthew and the monkey!



John Michael and Matthew seriously looking at this crazy monkey!  Eeek eeek John Michael kept saying!



I don't have the room for tons of pictures, but we saw turtles, roosters, rabbits, chickens, and then these baby tigers!  Roar!



Matthew says "Hello!"  He looked so cute in his hat!



I petted the baby lion.  It's probably the only time in my life that I will pet one, so I took advantage.  We didn't have enough time, but they also had pony and camel rides that day!  I was looking forward to riding the camel with JM, but it didn't work out.



Now, to the good stuff!  For some reason, this baby lemur (yes, wearing a tiny diaper) was JM's favorite thing!  He loooved it!  He could stayed there for an hour just looking at him.  We had  to eventually pull him away from him and he cried and cried!  He was pretty cute, but we had other animals to see in the drive-through safari....



The whole reason we went to the safari was because Uncle Judd is here for a visit.  It would have been hard attempting this on my own!  I love to have help.  Judd helped and held John Michael as we slowly drove through the safari!  Here they are getting ready to drive through!



John Michael seems a little unsure of the ostrich, and I don't blame them.  They all came up to the car, throughout the park, and I very much dislike them.  They have red beady eyes and look like Satan.



They had zebras and even zebra babies!  I thought it was cool that there were little babies in most of the areas we drove through!



Hello Mr. Camel!  You're in my way!



Up close and personal!



This mama had a little baby with her. We were right next to her in the car!  I'm calling her a yak, but Judd swears it's a Scotland Highlands cattle or something like that. 



As we drove out we saw lots of little prairie dogs and the little holes they dig!  Good-bye Safari!



We were surprised at how long it took us to drive through.  I wasn't expecting it to take too long, but it did!  We were hungry and everyone was ready for lunch so we stopped off at a super-cute local pizza place on the adorable Main Street in Gentry.  There were a lot of antique places and some old hardware stores on Main Street.  I definitely want to go back one Saturday and just walk around!



John Michael played with the car driving games while we waited on our cheese pizza.



Judd tended to Matthew while I let John Michael pretend to play the driving video game.  In true southern fashion we ordered a pitcher of sweet tea because it was cheaper than getting two glasses!  I really liked this pizza place and I recommend it if you're heading out to the Safari.  It was good!



After we ate pizza we had to make just one more stop.  We couldn't leave without going to the Little Debbie factory outlet.  Let me tell you, it was so cool just to look at a whole store dedicated to Little Debbie.  I can personally thank Little Debbie for over half of my pregnany weight with Matthew.  I craved fudge rounds with a mighty passion, oh my!



We hung out in the car while Judd ran in and then he sat in the car with the boys while I ran in!  We were gone a good bit of the day but we had such a good time!  It's nice to make memories with family!


5 comments:

Jane (Grams, GaGa) said...

I can see why JM loved the baby lemur. He was soooo cute in his little diaper. All the baby animals were very cute. I'm glad that y'all had a great time!! Great pictures capturing the boys interest in all the animals :)

Erin said...

We loved the safari too. It is pretty cool place! If you go back you have to eat at The Wooden Spoon in Gentry. It's an Omish restaurant with good southern cookin'!

Rachel said...

I found your blog from Jenna's Journey. I loved this post! After reading this we are thinking about making a trip with our 2.5 yr old son to let him see the animals. We will be traveling from Memphis and I was wondering if you had any recommendations. We will probably drive over that morning and spend the day and then spend the night. We are not familiar with the area. Is there anything we will pass on the way that you think we should stop to see or do. Thanks for any tips you can give me!
Sorry this is so long!
Your boys are adorable!
Rachel
www.cameronandracheldunaway.blogspot.com
rwhite214@hotmail.com

jess nix said...

we're planning a trip there in a few weeks....when my bestie comes up from tuscaloosa :)

There’s Something About Mary… » Safari, Take 2! said...

[...] you’ll remember from my last post about the safari, the baby lemur was JM’s favorite animal there!  Well, they had her out [...]