Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Twice the Fun

Last night we had our Sunday School shower for Amy, who is expecting twin girls!  She's kind of on house arrest until those little girls come, so we came to her!  Oh yeah, and she also has a precious one year old!  She's going to be one busy lady.  As usual, we had a great time fellowshipping with all the ladies and eating lots of great food!  Jordan kept John Michael for me and I think they had a fun night also!
Amy with the food
Amy with the food





[caption id="attachment_584" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="The cute kiddos"]The cute kiddos[/caption]






[caption id="attachment_587" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Amy opening a cute box!"]Amy opening a cute box![/caption]


Amy has the neatest house that was built in the 1890s.  I love old houses and I think they have so much character.  Their house has old fireplaces, hardwood floors, and even a clawfoot bathtub that I fell in love with!

I ended up making cupcakes and croissant sandwhiches for the shower.  The cupcakes turned out pretty good and I found a recipe online for a different kind of frosting and so I gave it a go.  It was pretty good.  It's like a light, fluffy, cream cheese icing.

Sturdy Whipped Cream Icing
  • 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened

  • 1/2 cup white sugar

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract

  • 2 cups heavy cream

  • *  Combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Fit the mixer with the whisk attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth. While the mixture is still whipping, slowly pour in the heavy cream. Stop and scrape the bottom of the bowl a couple of times while you continue whipping until the cream can hold a stiff peak.


    Cupcakes!
    Cupcakes!

     



    And of course, Robin made her famous cookies!  She is so talented.  I heard that she had her baby yesterday so I've been checking their blog and waiting on pictures of baby Caleb, but they're probably a little too busy right now to update!  Congratulations to Jake and Robin.  I hope mama and baby are well!  I want to see him soon!
    Cookies with Molly and Ruby's names on them!
    Cookies with Molly and Ruby's names on them!



    Have a happy Wednesday!

    Verse O' the Day:

    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

    Romans 8:28

    4 comments:

    Kelly said...

    I was so glad to see you last night! The shower was great......just wish i could have stayed longer!

    Dana/Meme said...

    The cupcakes and new frosting look really yummy!!!
    You are so creative and good at teaching yourself almost anything you want to do!
    I LOVE Amy's house too!!! I noticed the fireplace near the table with the food - very cool!
    Would have loved to have seen the claw foot tub and other details!! Makes me want an old house!!
    Have a good "play date" today with John Michael and friends!
    Love you

    Vicki Kirk said...

    I couldn't find your email but is this Mary Avery from Gadsden??? This is Vicki Phillips (that is if you remember me). If this is you How are you? How is your family?. John Michael is absolutely adorable!!! Take care!

    Jenny Moon said...

    Mary Avery,

    I want the recipe for the icing for the cookies! My icing doesn't look that "perfect" when I make iced cookies.

    I hope yall have fun this week!!!!!!

    Jenny