Monday, October 25, 2010

The Best Cake in Ze World!

No joking, this is seriously the best cake in the whole world.  Rich, chocolatey, thick, creamy, and laced with a wonderfully fluffy mocha filling, it is very labor-intensive to make.  It probably tops the charts in calories, so it only needs to be made about once a year for something really special!  The coffee in it really packs a punch too.  Quite a few of us who ate it last week were up late, I know I was!

I made this for our monthly Recipe Exchange dinner party last week.  I make this a little differently than the way Southern Living says to do it, so I'm going to give you my recipe.  It is good.  Really good!  The reason why the "icing" is a little funny looking is because it is warm chocolate ganache that is poured over the cake. Oooh my!


Chocolate Cake IV


-I make 3 layers of Devil's food cake mix in 9" round cake pans.  You can make these layers the night before and then assemble the day-of. SL calls for you to make homemade cake, who in the world has time for that?!


Ganache Icing



  • 3  (4-ounce) bittersweet chocolate baking bars, finely chopped

  • 1 1/4  cups  whipping cream

  • 1  tablespoon  butter

  •  Place chocolate in a bowl.

    Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium heat just until cream begins to boil. Pour over chocolate in bowl, stirring until smooth. Stir in butter and liqueur. Let stand 45 minutes or until spreading consistency.

    Mocha Chocolate Cream Filling




    • 5  tablespoons  all-purpose flour

    • 2  tablespoons  unsweetened cocoa

    • 2  tablespoons  instant coffee granules

    • 1  cup  half-and-half

    • 1  cup  butter, softened

    • 1  cup  DOMINO 10X Confectioners Sugar

    • 1  teaspoon  vanilla extract


    Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Spoon mixture into a small bowl; cover surface of mixture with plastic wrap, pressing wrap onto surface, and let stand 30 minutes or until cool.

    Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add cooled cocoa mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add vanilla, beating until mixture is consistency of whipped cream.

    Time to assemble your cake...........



    Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread top with 4 tablespoons Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing. Spread half of Mocha-Chocolate Cream Filling evenly over ganache on cake layer. Top with second cake layer; spread top with 4 tablespoons Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing and remaining Mocha-Chocolate Cream Filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing on top and sides of cake. Garnish, if desired.

    I didn't take a picture of the inside of the cake because I was too busy talking and stuffing my face, so here it is!  Mine looked exactly like that, of course

    Chocolate Cake IV


    (photo courtesy of Southerliving.com)



    5 comments:

    Jordan Wigley said...

    Even though I'd rather have some other desserts than chocalate... this is a GREAT cake! Since we just started dieting again, I guess it's alright that you through it out after I ate just one piece... of course, that was also good payback to me for accidentally throwing away your tacos that day you didn't get to eat anything all day and ran through the drive-through! :-)

    I wish I didn't love sweets so much, cause you make awesome desserts!

    Laurie said...

    I want to make this cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Jane (Grams, GaGa) said...

    Looks delicious!! And Jordan....you get you're love for sweets honestly!! You know how much your grandmother and grandfather loved them....and well...I sort of like them too...haha! I think JM has inherited that love also!! Matthew's fate is yet to come :) Thanks for the recipe MA!!

    Dana Maxwell/Meme said...

    this was wonderful when you made this for my birthday!! I love all things MOCHA, so this cake is right up there with the best!!!
    so YUMMY!

    Amy said...

    This is the best cake ever!!