Monday, January 11, 2010

Look-Alike and Lazy Lasagna

It's so fun to pull out John Michael's old baby pictures and flip through them and compare them to what Matthew is looking like now.  It's so cool having two boys so close in age.  What's funny is that I have been looking at John Michael's pictures from 2-3 months to get the comparison to Matthew at 6 or 7 weeks!  I told you he's big!

For me, I don't look at Matthew during the day and see JM as a baby.  The only time I really see it is at bath time.  When I look down into that little tub it just looks like baby John Michael laying there!  Matthew has really been enjoying his tub time.  He loves to just sit in the water and enjoy his warm bath.

The top pic is Matthew, the bottom is John Michael

 





I also love that they both have chubby cheeks!  I love that little smile lighting up their faces!  Matthew was full of smiles today.



I didn't think this next set of pictures looked as much alike, but it's still cute!




I don't think I realized how much more hair JM had than Matthew until I really got to looking at these pictures.  He had a lot of hair and then it all fell out and he was bald for a few months! 




Sausage and Ravioli Lasagna


Tonight I made this recipe from Southern Living because it looked really, really easy and sounded good.  Let me tell you, it was easy and it was good!  I took almost no time to throw together and it turned out just wonderful.  Jordan was a big fan, and I have to admit that I was too.  The mixture of the fresh spinach with the pesto sauce gave it a really good taste.  I changed some things, which I made note of and it turned out just as good.  I'm going to be putting this one into our recipe rotation for sure.  It's the perfect way to make good, easy lasagna!  And, if you're in our sunday school class and you're having a baby anytime soon, I'll probably be bringing this to your house for your meal!



Ingredients




  • 1/2  pound  ground Italian sausage  (I used frozen lean ground beef that I had already cooked)

  • 1  (24-oz.) jar tomato-and-basil pasta sauce (I used about 2/3s of a BIG Prego jar)

  • 1  (6-oz.) package fresh baby spinach, thoroughly washed

  • 1/2  cup  refrigerated pesto sauce   (I used pesto with basil mixed in)

  • 1  (25-oz.) package frozen cheese-filled ravioli (do not thaw)  (I could only find beef ravioli)

  • 1  cup  (4 oz.) shredded Italian six-cheese blend



*Because I could not find cheese ravioli I used beef ravioli.  All I did was throw some of the grated cheese on top of the ravioli so that I would have cheese inbetween each layer.



Preparation


1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cook Italian sausage in a skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well. Stir pasta sauce into sausage.

2. Chop spinach, and toss with pesto in a bowl.

3. Spoon one-third of sausage mixture (about 1/2 cup) into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Top with half of spinach mixture. Arrange half of ravioli in a single layer over spinach mixture. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining sausage mixture.

4. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, and bake 5 to 8 minutes or until hot and bubbly.





I'm way too tired to upload my lasagna pictures, so I'll just do it tomorrow during naptime.  We've actually got a busy week this week so we'll see if I can make it on time to all of our outings we have planned.  I'm having a hard time getting us all out the door on time.  It will get better as I learn more about our routine.  It's just so hard with a breastfed baby because they can take so long to eat sometimes!

1 comments:

Jane (Grams, GaGa) said...

I have made one similar to this using the cheese ravioli and it was great also! I also just used ground beef instead of sausage. I loved the pictures of JM and Matthew. They do look so much alike and are both the most precious things on the face of this earth! Glad to hear y'all are finally thawing out and that you are getting out of the house. Love to all