Sunday, January 3, 2010

Hello, 2010!

This is what greeted us when I got up for a 3AM feeding!  The snow was falling it kept on through the night and into the morning.  We had even more snow than we did on Christmas day!



Since we were lazy on Christmas Day and didn't take JM out to play in the snow, we decided that today would be perfect.  We got JM all dressed up like the little boy on A Christmas Story and he and Jordan headed outside.  Matthew, me, and Jack watched them from inside! 


Because bichons have cottony fluff, it's so hard when it snows because they get tons of clumps of snow stuck all in their hair.  Basically, it's a big mess to clean up and we have to get the hair dryer out!


JM is ready to go!  He loves these new flashlights that plug into the wall and stay charged. 



I haven't seen him smile this much in a while!



I honestly think he had a fantastic time!




After a while I headed out for a few minutes of snow fun!



I took Jack sledding down our driveway.  He loves the snow and he went with us everytime we went down.



JM and Dada getting ready to go down the hill!



Family shot.  And yes, we bundled Matthew up in TONS of layers of fleece and a snowsuit.  He was so warm that he fell asleep out there.  He didn't go out of the garage and he wasn't out there too long!



Jack blends in with the snow!  He loves it!




After we came back inside I fixed hot chocolate for everyone!  JM loved his first hot chocolate and he and Dada enjoyed it by the fireside!  We had such a good time.  We've had the fire going all day, Matthew is all snuggly in our arms by the fire and JM is sleeping away.  I know he wore himself out doing all that sledding!  Paternity leave is coming to an end as of tomorrow, and I'm sad, but I was so happy to have Jordan around for so long.  I'm so glad his company puts family first!


 


I had just a few random pictures to share.  Here's my little snuggle buddy!  He is just so darn sweet!



Also, since it's been so freezing lately I decided to make slow cooker red beans n rice.  It was nice and easy, I just poured everything in the crockpot in the morning and then dinner was ready that night!  I got the recipe from Southern Living.  I'm not a huge red beans n rice fan, but Jordan said it was blog-worthy for sure, so I thought I'd post it.  Plus, beans are healthy for you!



Slow Cooker Red Beans 'n Rice


1# dried red beans


3/4# smoked turkey sausage, thinly sliced


3 celery ribs, chopped


1 green bell pepper, chopped


1 red bell pepper, chopped


1 sweet onion, chopped


3 garlic cloves, minced


1 tbsp creole seasoning


Combine first 8 ingredients and 7 cups water in a slow cooker.  Cover and cook on high for 7 hours.  Serve with hot rice.


 

7 comments:

Jane (Grams, GaGa) said...

John Michael looks like such a big boy playing out in the snow! He has the biggest smile on his face. You can tell by his expressions that he is having fun. Looks like the whole family had a great time sledding. That is one perk of having such a sloped driveway!! Haha We are glad that our little fluffer, Jack, got in on the fun too :) Nat has been craving red beans and rice ever since he heard you were cooking it! Yum

Jenna said...

JM looks so grown up! Have fun in the snow!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Loved our Christmas Card...cute boys!!

The snow pics are great, and JM is REALLY smiling...he must have enjoyed it immensely! Y'all stay warm...and make some snow ice cream to go with that hot chocolate next time!! :)

Jessica said...

I wish we would have known you guys were out too!!! We were playing in our back yard and Braxton was having a blast building a snow mountain and throwing snow balls. Glad you guys got to have some snow fun. Wayman will be sad that he missed sliding down your driveway... he so wants to sled in the snow.

Dana/Meme said...

Oh how I wished I could have been there to share in the snow. I know JM loved it and was fascinated!
I miss y'all so..........................

Dana/Meme said...

Oh how I wished I could have been there to share in the snow. JM looked like he was loving it and fascinated!
I miss y'all so............................

Kacy said...

Just wanted to let you know we're making this today for the second time. The whole family loves it!!