Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Few Good Recipes

No pictures in this post tonight!  I mainly just wanted to get these recipes typed up so I can have easy access to them instead of having them on little pieces of paper laying around. 

I love this chocolate pie recipe.  It tastes so very traditional and quite a few people have told me it tastes exactly the way their grandmother made it!  It came from a lovely old cafe that used to be in our hometown a long time ago.

West Gadsden Cafe Chocolate Pie


1/2 stick butter


5 Tbspoons Cocoa Powder


4 egg yolks, beaten


4 Tbspoons corn starch


2 cups whole milk


1 cup sugar


*Whisk all ingredients in a saucepan on medium heat until it thickens.  Before putting the egg yolks into the pan, make sure you temper them with a bit of the hot chcolate mixture so they won't scramble when you add them to the pan.  Stirring the mixture until it thickens  will be a gradual process.  Whisk constantly until it slowly turns to a pudding-like consistency.


*Pour into a baked pie shell.


*To make the meringue, whisk the 4 egg whites with 1/3 cup of sugar until stiff peaks form.  Mound onto the hot, chocolate pie and bake at 350 for about 5-10 minutes, until it's light brown on the top.


-----------------------------------------


I found this random recipe for muffins on the back of a piece of paper.  It's a weight watchers recipe and they are so good!  The pumpkin makes them extra-moist!


Spice Muffins


1 box spice cake mix


1 15 oz. canned pumpkin


1/2 splenda or sugar


1 cup water


2 egg whites


*Mix all ingredients together with a hand mixer.  Pour into muffin tin and bake at 350 for around 32 minutes. 


*Makes 24 muffins at 2 points a piece.  Yummy!  The reason I don't have a picture to share is because we ate them up so quickly.  Both boys LOVED them!

1 comments:

Jane (GaGa) said...

I agree that West Gadsden Cafe's chocolate pie recipe is the best ever!! My best friend, Jenny, whose family owned WGC gave me so many of their wonderful recipes and each one is delicious! I never fail to get compliments on any of those recipes. I also got the WW muffin recipe YEARS ago when I was going there and it is yummy. Thanks for the reminder to fix them soon.