Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Book and the Second Trimester

When I find a book I really like, I obsess and read as much as I can (with a baby around) to finish it!  I finished this book in about 3 days.  I had heard a little chatter about it online so I did something I never do, I went to Borders and bought the hardback.

The Help, by Kathryn Stockett, takes place in 1960s Jackson. Mississippi.  The Civil Rights Movement is underway and really starting to become a nation-wide issue.  The best way to sum it up is: In a place where blacks are given the task of raising white children from birth up but now allowed to touch the family silver or use their bathrooms, three very differnt women will take it upon themselves to explore the complex working relationship between the white employers and the black maids that work for them.



The Help encorporates a few of my favorite things:  Silver patterns, chick-lit, southern writing, the Junior League, a little mystery, and talk of sorority sisters past.  My favorite part of the book was when the main character's (Skeeter) brother brings home a girl from LSU and his mother asks the girl what her family's silver pattern is.  She replies that theirs is Chantilly (just like Mom) but she quickly remarks how Skeeter is so lucky that her family is a Francis I family. She then asks Skeeter if she is going to register for her own silver pattern or get her Mama's when she gets married.  Love it.

It's just an interesting book and there wasn't a lot of cussing or anything bad like that.  It really explores race relations in the Deep South in the '60s.  I enjoyed it and it made me think of all the stories my mom told me about their maid and her friend's maids growing up in Tuscaloosa in the 60s.  I am happy to recommend it and I hope you like it too.

-----------------------

Moving on, we had our 4 month OB check-up today and everything checked out great!  Unlike last time, everytime I go now I don't really have any questions.  The heart rate was 164 and it was 160 last time, just like John Michael!  It's so crazy to think that we are now officially in the second trimester. 

Our next appointment will be in July and we have to decide whether or not to find out the sex at our ultrasound.  Jordan talked me into finding out last time so we're thinking about not finding out this time.  Something to think about...

One last thing, I forgot to post the picture of how we told our family about baby #2.  It's funny because not a soul noticed his little t-shirt.  Here we are after we told them!


Verse O' the Day:


For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.



Galatians 1:10

7 comments:

Dana/Meme said...

Can't wait to read the book - you know what they say about Southern Belles whose silver pattern is Francis I ?
And I just don't know if I can stand not to know the sex of this baby!!! I won't be able to buy it things ahead of time! But that is y'all's decision.
The truth of the matter about JM's tee shirt is that even though some of us noticed his shirt got changed, we are all too blind (without our glasses on) to read the second line.
Glad you had a good dr. visit today. It's easier the second time around. You kind of know what you are doing and what you are in for - HA!
Love to all.

Kelly said...

I'm not a big reader - but I would like that book. I like anything set in the south.
Glad your dr's visit was good. I hope you do find out what it is because I can't stand the suspense. And how am I going to get you a monogrammed gift if you don't find out??? ha ha ha ha!

Leslie said...

I couldn't stand not knowing the gender of the baby, but I'm just a little crazy about getting things in order AND I have three girls, so if I EVER have a boy I'm going to need a LOT of stuff. Can't have a little Smittle boy running around in a pink dress!

Ginger said...

We did the same thing with the shirt to tell everyone about Kade. I have to say it took a long time for them to notice Alex's shirt too. The whole time my heart was beating wondering if they saw it or not.So that is so funny.

Jane (Gran/Grams) said...

Sounds like a great book. And I vote with your mother...I don't know if I can wait until the end of November to know the gender of this baby!! It was hard enough last time just not knowing the name!!! haha

Lindsey said...

That sounds like a book I would enjoy reading.

I think it would be exciting to let the sex of the baby be a surprise!!! It's great to hear that your appt went well!

kimberly said...

I am about to read The Help as well. Being in two book clubs, is lotsof fun, but I hate when it rolls around to my turn to pick a book. I never want to pick something for fear everyone might not enjoy it. Even though I know you can't please everyone!

So, you really liked it? I've heard many good things, from other book clubs, library clubs, and online. But good to get info from someone you really trust. :)

Also, if you have any other good reads, please let me know.......