Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Birthday (or two) and some BBQ!

Last weekend we had so much fun and part of the fun  included John Michael's friend, Sarah Kate, turning one!  I can't believe all of JM's nursery friends are growing up and turning one soon!  Time is flying by way too quickly.  Eh!

Sarah Kate was so much like John Michael when they were babies.  These two were fussy little babies (at times) who refused to sleep at night!  It felt nice to have Laurie around to have someone to bounce around ideas with about sleep!  Here are the two cuties from this past winter.  Look how little hair they both have!


Sarah Kate had a turtle theme first birthday and it was so cute!



Here are all of the kiddos.  It was hard to get a picture with all of them!



Wells and John Michaels thought it was time to stop taking pictures.



Sarah Kate and her turtle cake!



And here's John Michael showing Sarah Kate how you eat birthday cake!



John Michael and Me!



_________________________________________


Last week I forgot to say Happy Birthday to Jordan's sister, Janna!  She is a wonderful kid's PE teacher so I'm excited for her to teach John Michael how to play soccer and other sports that I really don't care about enough to teach him myself.  I know she's excited for him to get older so she can teach him all about sports.  I don't have a recent picture of her so I just won't post one!  Happy Birthday, Aunt Janna!  We'll see you on the 4th!


___________________________________________________


Now, to the BBQ!  You know how I LOVE an easy, fast recipe in the crockpot and if it involves BBQ then I love it even more!  I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and it is a winner in my book.  I'm thinking about making it for the 4th for everyone because it was so good and easy!


BBQ Pork for Sandwiches   (I used a little over a pound of pork ribs instead of 3)



  • 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth

  • 3 pounds boneless pork ribs

  • 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce




    1. Pour can of beef broth into slow cooker, and add boneless pork ribs. Cook on High heat for 4 hours, or until meat shreds easily. Remove meat, and shred with two forks. It will seem that it's not working right away, but it will.

    2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Transfer the shredded pork to a Dutch oven or iron skillet, and stir in barbeque sauce.  (I just put it on foil-lined pan in the oven)

    3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through.



    And yes, that's coleslaw on top of it!



    John Michael was so excited waiting on his BBQ!



    The anticipation....



    The Yum! 


    Yes, he is a southern boy at heart even though we aren't in the Deep South!  He even got a few sips of sweet tea.  He loved it!  He kept crying for more BBQ so we gave it to him.  I hope that doesn't make us bad parents!  I can just see us a Dreamland  now!  Yum!

    5 comments:

    Dana/Meme said...

    Love the pictures of the birthday party! Such sweet and cute children. The turtle cookies - precious. John Michael sure does know how to eat birthday cake - honey, I am here to testify to it - I saw him devour a huge amount on his birthday!
    I have been dying to see the pictures of the bar-b-que, especially with JM eating it!!! The sandwich looks yummy!!
    Cannot wait for y'all to be down here (Deep South) and we will definitely be heading for Dreamland in T'town with JM!!
    Glad JM is feeling better.
    Love to all!

    laurie said...

    Ohhhh...that first picture make me so sad. They are just nearly grown. SK has been walking a little this week!

    Jane (Gran/Grams) said...

    All JM's friends are just darling! It is so nice to have so many friends with children around JM's age. They will all have so much fun growing up together. I loved the pics of him eating BBQ! I can hear him now....... mmmmmmmmm!! And...JM has the technique down for eating birthday cake. Of course, his daddy has always loved him some birthday cake too...haha. We are getting all excited about y'all being down here for the 4th. Love ya

    Jane (Gran/Grams) said...

    BTW....you can be in charge of BBQ on the 4th!!!! Looks very yummy!

    There’s Something About Mary… » Memorial Day Fun! said...

    [...] out everyone could come. This was so last minute it wasn’t even funny!  I decided to make slow cooker BBQ and we still had a lot of things like plates and forks leftover from John Michael’s birthday [...]