Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How to get your kids to eat broccoli...seriously!

I decided to roast some brocolli in the oven last week.  It had been years since I'd made it this way so I figured I would try again since I pretty much hate vegetables and don't really make them that often (bad, I know!).  I threw some olive oil and salt and pepper on them and put them in the oven for a bit.  After they were done I put some fresh lemon juice on them and then grated some fresh ginger on the top of them.  I could NOT believe how good it was.  And me, hating brocolli!  It was so yummy so I thought I'd buy a bit more at the store this week and make it again!


This time around I used my handy little hand shredder and shredded some fresh parmesan on the top and also put a bit more fresh lemon juice on it.  Also, don't ask why I have fresh ginger and lots of lemons sitting around, I've been juicing lately with our new juicer so I've got a ton of new and different stuff sitting around....blog post to follow on that soon!


What surprised us the most was how much Matthew ate.  JM of course won't touch it, but Matthew shoveled this baked brocolli in like candy.  Jordan and I actually only got a few bites because he wanted more and more.  How could I refuse him fresh broccoli?!


Yes, it smells up your house, but I was just surprised at how good it was and wanted to share with everyone!



We'll definitely be eating more broccoli around here for sure!

5 comments:

Julie G. said...

Cauliflower is good that way too!

Jane (Gaga) said...

Hooray Matthew!!! We love it roasted too, but I've never put the grated ginger on it. I have some in the freezer and will try it soon. I especially love roasting a mixture of veggies in mom's cast iron dutch oven. It's one of my most prized possessions from my mother. Everything taste better cooked in it....probably because it's got a lot of love seasoned into it!

ray maxwell said...

Mary, did you really eat it ? Did not slip under the table to Jack or hide as you did in your young & foolish home life before being a wondeful mother and wife. dad

Kimberly said...

i've tried it with cauliflower too, never even thought to do broccoli, and never tried grated ginger....great idea! Also, I chuckled big on your dad's comment...too fun.

Meme said...

I've seen many chefs lately on TV broiling, baking, grilling etc. kale - I've been wanting to try it - looks good! I also like asparagus that way