Thursday, December 8, 2011

Crock-TASTIC! Apple Butter

I cannot believe I have never made homemade apple butter before!  My friend, Bethany, made some in her slow cooker and it got me thinking about a recipe I saw about a year ago that I never made.  Now, I have to say, I liked hers better.  We ate it up super fast at breakfast time! 

This one was good and I can't believe how EASY it was.  I can truthfully say I've never smelled anything as good as this cooking for hours on end in your house!  It smells unreal.  You have to make it!  Seriously, go on!



I got my recipe from the Southern Plate cookbook.  I believe there's a blog but I haven't been to it as much.  I really like my Southern Plate book though because there are beautiful pictures and stories with most of the recipes.


We ate some, I gave some to friends, and I froze what was left.  I figured it was no different making baby apple sauce and freezing it to eat later, so I've got some waiting for me in the freezer!


It makes a lot so you're going to want to give it to friends, or package it up with a cute bow to give for a homemade Christmas gift!


Ingredients




  • 2- 3 lb (50 oz) jars unsweetened apple sauce

  • 3 lbs granny smith apples

  • 4 cups sugar

  • 1 1/2 cups apple juice

  • 2 tsp cinnamon

  • 1 tsp cloves

  • 1 tsp allspice


Instructions




  1. Peel and cut apples into small chips. Place all ingredients in the crock pot and stir.

  2. Cover and cook on low overnight (eight to ten hours). Remove cover, stir and taste. Add more spices or sugar if desired.

  3. Continue cooking for a few more hours, uncovered, until some of the liquid has gone and butter has cooked down a bit.

  4. Pour into jars and refrigerate (unless it is canned properly).

  5. Serve over hot biscuits, toast, scones


And P.S. You WILL have to pulse this in the blender for just a few seconds after it's totally baked.  It was still lumpy and it needed that soft apple butter texture!

0 comments: