Sunday, September 5, 2010

About Last Weekend

Jordan and I had decided that we would like to have some neighborhood friends over one last time before football season begins and we all become football widows.  Little did I know that football season started this weekend, so we had to make it last weekend.  We are so blessed to have so many of our friends from church right in our own neighborhood and just one neighborhood away. 

I keep thinking, I wish we had a bigger house, or I wish I had a dining room with a table so that we could fit more people.  But, we don't and I'm happy with what we have.  We are so blessed with sweet friendships and a beautiful home that is just right for our season of life. 

I decided to make slow cooker boston butt since we don't have a grill - that's a long story too.  Maybe we'll have one by next summer and we can have people over for actual BBQs!  I put a HUGE boston butt in the crockpot on Friday morning and let it cook all day long.  I put salt, pepper, water, and just a little BBQ sauce so I wouldn't overwhelm the meat flavor.  I think it turned out great.

I tried to clean all Friday, but as my post from a while back showed, I got little done with Matthew hanging around the house!  My sweet, sweet husband packed up the boys and took of on Saturday morning to let me have a good shot at cleaning without interruption!

Even though Alabama football didn't start for a week, both my boys were ready!  They've both got their Roll Tide gear on!


 



 I made my BBQ the day before so I would have a lot less to do the day of.  It worked out great.  I shredded it really well and rehydrated it with some beef bouillion and BBQ sauce.  I then put it in pans and heated it in oven until we were ready to eat.  I made BBQ beans and we had fruit, potato salad, and macaroni salad and tons of soft drinks, lemonade, and lemon water (a personal favorite!)


Does it look like we had enough?!  Everyone brought something yummy and we ended up with THREE chocolate desserts!



 All of our neighbors have boys and so it's so fun when they all get together and play!  The bigger kids ate at the picnic table.



 Bless sweet Kaitlyn's heart, she's the only girl out of 8 boys! 



 The dads all played football with the little guys.  They had a really good time!



 And the little ones....



 scooted and cruised around the grass.



JM was ready to catch the football!



 We had such a fun time eating, visiting, and talking with everyone.  It was kind of sad to say good-bye to summer, but now we're saying hello to fall with all of its glorious drops in temperature! 



It was so nice to have friends over and I'm looking forward to doing it more often with more people.  There's something nice about filling your house with great food, friends, and conversation!


Verse O' the Day:



Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Joshua 1:9

2 comments:

Jane (Grams, GaGa) said...

The BBQ looked like it turned out great. We cooked one this weekend....yummy! JM looks like Julio waiting on his pass...ha! So glad that you and all your friends had such a great time together. Y'all are blessed to have such wonderful friends with precious children to be friends with JM and Matthew.

Julie said...

The BBQ was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. It tasted like it had been slow smoked for hours. We love getting together. We'll host next time! Even though summer is over, fall is fun too--soup suppers, chili suppers, pizza nights, baked potato bars...it will be fun!