Thursday, May 28, 2009

Play-Day-Thursday!

We hosted playgroup at our house today, and let me tell you, we had the best time!  We celebrated John Michael's birthday again, of course, and everything was great! I used some leftover decorations and got some balloons.  The kids played so well (we DO have enough toys for a daycare you know) and all the food turned out fantastic and yummy, if I do say so myself!

We have the best Sunday School class and everyone's kids are just so cute.  I'm going to miss playgroup this summer, but I know it'll be back in the fall! 

Here's the let's-celebrate-my-birthday-for-a-month birthday boy!



Braxton playing on the couch



Baby Caleb is so darn cute



Kelly and Harper in their matching outfits...I'm kinda jealous I don't have a girl!



Ginger's newest addition, Baby Kade.  He is so tiny and precious. Today was his first day at playgroup!



Just the kiddos playing!



Now for the food.  I could NOT decide what to make so I decided to make a ginormous salad with chicken chopped up in it and then all kinds of little toppings and dressings for the salad.  I thought it was good and it was fun to choose different toppings.



I totally stole this idea of putting some cute fabric on the stovetop from Kelly.  It makes so much sense and it's a great way to serve food! 


Now, for the the kiddos we had chicken nuggets, different fruits, fruit juice, and cupcakes!



AND for dessert......




Dirt Cake!  I decided to do it in a trifle bowl instead of a cute flower pot.  It is SO good and it's fun and easy to make.  Yum.  I forgot to get a picture so this one was from Kelly's blog.  We're so glad that there are leftovers!  A few people asked about it, so here's the recipe!

Dirt Cake



  • 1/2 cup butter, softened

  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

  • 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix

  • 3 1/2 cups milk

  • 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

  • 32 ounces chocolate sandwich cookies with creme filling


    1. Chop cookies very fine in food processor. The white cream will disappear.

    2. Mix butter, cream cheese, and sugar in bowl.

    3. In a large bowl mix milk, pudding and whipped topping together.

    4. Combine pudding mixture and cream mixture together.

    5. Layer in flower pot, starting with cookies then cream mixture. Repeat layers.

    6. Chill until ready to serve.

    7. Add artificial flower and trowel. Enjoy!


    4 comments:

    Kelly said...

    Thanks so much for hosting us today - everything was wonderful. Sorry I had to leave in a huff. But Harper had a wonderful 2.5 hour nap as soon as we left - play group wears her out.
    I'm hoping this baby is a girl (although a boy will be GREAT too!) I know our matching shirts are total cheese ball but they were a gift and Harper will outgrow hers soon so I figured we better wear them! :-)
    And I DO always put fabric on the stove to serve food because I just think it looks tacky to put out food on the stove - I'm crazy like that. :-) ha!

    Robin Harper said...

    Everything was wonderful! Thanks so much!

    Dana/Meme said...

    You did a great job with play-group and it looked as if all had a great time!!

    Jane (Gran/Grams) said...

    I enjoyed being there again for play group. All of the children are just soooo cute! It is such a blessing that you have so many wonderful friends from church. Your salad and dirt cake were delicious.