Monday, October 31, 2011

Girl's Night Out and Soup!

Last week we had our monthly girl's night out!  I love getting to sit and talk with the other ladies in our sunday school class.  It is so nice to just get out for a bit and catch up with everybody!

As usual, Noah was my little sidekick!  He did pretty well.  I had to hold him most of the time, but he's so cute I don't mind.  There's always an open set of arms to hold Noah so I can eat or whatever!

Aren't the trees around her house beautiful?!!



 



Stephanie had cute mason jars and some yummy blueberry tea for us!



This night we had a soup night.  It was great with fall right around the corner!  We had different soups and all the fixins' to go with them.



 


I saved the best for last!  I was so happy that Kacy brought bread bowls for our soups!  I made one of my favorite soups of all time.  I posted it last year on the blog and I only make it once or twice a year because it's made out of heavy cream...no wonder it's so good!


I found this recipe from Taste of Home magazine and it is pretty easy, but tastes so yummy on a cold night.  I thought it went wonderfully with the bread bowl from Panera!



Creamy Tortellini Soup





  • 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini

  • 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted

  • 2 cups vegetable broth

  • 2 cups 2% milk

  • 2 cups half-and-half cream

  • 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes

  • 1 teaspoon onion powder

  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder

  • 1 teaspoon dried basil

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

  • Additional shredded Parmesan cheese, optional



Directions



  • Cook tortellini according to package directions.

  • Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes and seasonings. Heat through, stirring frequently. Drain tortellini; carefully add to soup. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle each serving with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).


*I know I made this last year and froze it and it thawed out and tasted just fine later on.  Make a double batch and freeze some for this winter!

*I also hand grated a block of parmesean cheese instead of buying it shredded!

1 comments:

jessica said...

Hello! I was wondering, is there anything else you can use besides a dutch oven? i really want to try this soup, but dont have a dutch oven