Monday, October 24, 2011

Speak Your Mind, Whydon'tcha?!

I expected a lot of things when I knew we would be having 3 little ones three and under.  I expected to not get much sleep, I expected to have a MUCH, MUCH larger grocery bill in the coming years, I expected to stay busy and have a messy house and never get caught up on laundry.  I expected to have even less time to myself, to not have a ton of time to get dressed and put make-up on everyday and to generally be exhausted at the end of the day.  All of these things are true and pretty much what I thought it would be like with 3 little ones.

While there have been some wonderful day and some pretty no-good-awful days too, it's still what I expected!  What I never expected was comments from other people.  Truly, it never occured to me what other people might say.

My whole pregnancy and even after Noah was born, it never entered my mind that other people might have an opinion about Jordan and I having 3 small children.  It's just been lately that people have started saying things when we've been out and about.  I will be the FIRST to say, yes, I do have my hands full...literally!  I get it, but I've been surpirsed by the stares that we get and people asking questions like, "are they all yours, are you babysitting, did you give birth to all of them, are they twins?"

Yes, we have a few family members who are not so thrilled that we decided to have 3 children right in a row but I guess it's taken me by surprise that total strangers would tell me their opinion or lecture me on birth control.  Wow.

Yes, my hands (and heart!) are full but I am so blessed and we don't take it lightly for one second.  I know there are people out there literally dying to be pregnant and have a family. 



While I may complain about the crazy, negative comments, I do have to say we get a lot of fun, sweet comments as well.  My favorite comments are from older women who say things like "I had all of mine 14 months apart" or "I had three boys in 3 years too!"  I know they look at my boys and think back all those years ago when their little ones looked like stair steps too!



I've been trying to formulate a response to crazy old men who say things and stare while we're out and about.  I need to come up with a cute, sweet, charming rebuttal that says "BACK OFF BUDDY, CHILDREN ARE A GIFT FROM THE LORD!!"


I guess I say all that to say this: I think we always hoped and dreamed we'd be blessed with a family. My view of children has drastically changed over the last few years.  We do believe that each of our children are a gift from the Lord.  I think back to our grandparent's generation and how so many people came from large families.  It just makes me wonder how we got to be a nation where people think that 3 children is a lot.  Interesting!


 

6 comments:

ray maxwell said...

Mary, as you will learn with age that there will be these types in every aspects of life. Please don't waste your precious time trying to drop to their level. ENJOY YOUR BLESSING OF HEALTH, FAMILY AND A GREAT HUSBAND. Time does not wait so you go girl !

bella said...

I can't imagine anyone rude enough to say this to you. You are the lucky one, Children are ALWAYS a blessing!!

Jane (Gaga) said...

It's hard for me to think that anyone could look at those sweet beautiful faces and not see the blessings that God has given us, but I did witness it firsthand when we were at the craft fair. Some people say things without thinking about how it sounds or the feelings that might be hurt. I would just smile at them and say....Yes..They are all mine. aren't we so blessed by God... and just keep on going. We think that you and Jordan are amazing parents and we thank God everyday for blessing us with 3 healthy, beautiful grandchildren that bring so much joy into our lives.

Judd said...

I need to come up with a cute, sweet, charming rebuttal--"How many do YOU have?" I bet most of those staring will say no. and you can always say, "mine are cuter than yours."

Leslie said...

Obviously, you know how I feel about this post. People started giving me their thoughts when we had three too. Not that we have 5 I might as well be begging for money on the corner with all the kids shoeless and half dressed. Seriously! I usully just say, "Full of love and blessings!" when they say, "Well, don't you have your hands full!?" Otherwise I just ignore them and try to enjoy my family and make them all jealous!=)

Lisa said...

Yep. I understand 100%. I had four in four years. I was constantly asked if they were all mine...and when I said yes, so interesting replies! They are now 10, 12, 13 and 14. I would do it all over again! My oldest three are girls, youngest a boy.