Thursday, October 22, 2009

Balloon Boy and Other Things from Last Thursday

Last Thursday wasn't only the crazy day of the Saga of the Balloon Boy (which, I still don't have words for that whole mess), but it was my turn to host playgroup!  My friend, Jessica, helped me out with the food and I am so thankful to her!  I really needed to host sometime in October because I knew after that would be too close to our due date.  I know I won't host again for quite some time, as I get used to the routine of having two little ones!

We had a house full of little kids and mamas and I think everyone had a great time.  Our weather had been dark, grey, rainy, and cold for about two weeks straight, so I decided to do warm soups, hot apple cider, and praline apple bread!  All the food fit right in with my theme of fall!

JM was ready for everyone to come play!



Some of the cuties eating lunch



Jessica and Braxton



These two little guys crack me up!  They are so round and just so precious!



JM actually eating a "real" lunch!  He's been refusing to eat much of anything lately.



Emily wanted her picture taken too!



It looks like Sarah Kate had a good time too!



Kinley and Sarah Kate playing with the swing



For the older kids I made a fall popcorn mix and put it in little baggies for them to take home!  It was really good.  I'll post the recipe below.  It was sweet and salty and yummy.




Harvest Snack Mix


*I changed several things around in it.  I put Peanut M&Ms and things like that in it instead of Bridge Mix and I didn't put sunflower seeds!  The recipe came from tasteofhome.com. 



Ingredients



  • 2 cups pretzel sticks

  • 1 cup mixed nuts

  • 1/2 cup sunflower kernels

  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

  • 8 cups popped popcorn

  • 1 cup candy corn

  • 1 cup chocolate bridge mix


Directions



  • In a large bowl, combine the pretzels, nuts and sunflower kernels. Combine the butter, cinnamon and cloves. Drizzle a third of butter mixture over pretzel mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 15 minutes.

  • Place popcorn in a large bowl; drizzle with remaining butter mixture and toss to coat. Stir into pretzel mixture. Bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Cool; transfer to a large bowl. Add candy corn and bridge mix; toss to combine. Yield: 3 quarts.

2 comments:

Jane (Gran/Grams) said...

All of the children are just precious. I know that everyone enjoyed your yummy soups and apple bread. The bags were a really cute idea too :)

kimberly t. bowling said...

That first pic of JM looking up at the camera with those big blue eyes is just mesmerizing!!

And thanks for the cute snack mix recipe...I'm sure the Bowling kids will do those for a cooking camp post and give them out to their teachers maybe next week!!! :) We appreciate you sharing!