Monday, December 17, 2012

A Taste of Christmas Past


Most every Christmas morning I always remember Mom making the same meal.  We usually always had a breakfast sausage egg bake and a yummy garlic grits casserole and maybe cinnamon rolls or pigs in a blanket.  Now that I have a family of my own, I try and continue the traditions and have some of the same things for Christmas.

2 years ago we had my grandfather's sausage/scrambled eggs, grits casserole, and little pigs in a blanket with orange juice and peppermit hot chocolate.




Last Christmas we had fresh squeezed orange juice, pigs in a blanket, and overnight french toast casserole.


This year I think we'll have the sausage/egg overnight casserole and garlic cheese grits. IF I have time I wanted to do pigs in a blanket as well.  The combo of the grits and the sausage casserole will make me feel like it's Christmas morning back home!  I'm happy to carry on traditions and maybe one day my boys will always think of Christms whenever they have a casserole or grits and pigs n a blanket!  Christmas, family, the glow of the tree, pajamas, warm coffee and Christmas music humming in the background plus a belly full of warm food is a wonderful combination on a Christmas morning!

The best part is, I can assemble both of these the night before and put them in the oven early the next morning.

Garlic Cheese Grits

1/2 cup quick grits

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 stick butter

6 oz roll garlic cheese (a roll, usually Kraft, found in the cheese section)

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

Heat oven to 350. Cook grits in water with salt in saucepan until thick. Melt butter and cheese over low heat. Beat egg and put in measuring cup. Add milk to make 1 cup. Combine grits, cheese mix, and egg mix in 1- quart casserole dish.  Mix well.  Bake 35-40 minutes. Serves 4.

Cheese-Egg-Sausage Brunch Treat

8 slices white bread

1 1/2 pounds link sausage

1 dozen eggs

1 tsp dry mustard

2 cups milk

2 cups sharp cheddar cheese

Day before serving, butter large casserole dish. Trim ends of bread and cut each slice into 4 squares. Cook and drain sausage. Cut into bite size pieces. Beat eggs, add sausage, mustard, milk, and cheese.  Pour over bread squares in casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.  Serves 8.

Next day, bake at 300 degrees for 1.5 hours.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Word is that roll has been discontinued. Here's the recipe for the sub.

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2009/11/kraft-garlic-cheese-roll-substitute.html?m=1

But all of that looks super yummy. I think my family would want me to get the pigs in a blanket on the menu!

Meme said...

we mostly had the Sister Schubert sweet rolls, my garlic grits casserole (one of my favorites) and some type of quiche - good times of Christmases past! miss having people her for the holidays - it is lonesome and just not the same without children around. enjoy these years, they will go by in the blink of an eye! the Kraft garlic cheese is still available in
Alabama, I think - may be a regional thing.