Saturday, September 1, 2012

Paying Homage

One important part of our trip back to Alabama was going up to my aunt's house so that we could all get together and go through some of my Mamaw's personal posessions.  I never blogged about it, but my grandmother passed away last July, when Noah was about 4 weeks old.  It was a hard trip back home for the funeral with a 4 week old and I got mastitis along the way, but there was no way I was going to miss her funeral.  I got a chance to visit with Mamaw on a visit to Alabama in April (before I couldn't travel anymore when I was pregnant with Noah) and what she said pretty much sums her up:  Even in the nursing home she told me how she just sits in bed and thinks about her blessings.  She was in and out of being really clear, but what a testimony of her and her attitude.  She and my Papaw were kind, sweet, Godly people.  I'm so glad they were my grandparents.


So, on this visit, we packed up for the day and headed to my aunt's house.  I love going to my Aunt's house!  We usually go for holidays and it's just a comforting place to go.  Luckily, my cousin was in town, so the boys got to play with their 2nd cousin, Madalyn!  She is a cutie pie and they had a TON of fun playing together!  I hate we don't get to see them more often.



My aunt made a fantastic, Southern lunch for us...what a treat!



These 4 kiddos were loud and messy, and had a great time playing together.  I've always thought Noah and Madalyn looked a lot alike for some reason.





We took some time out to go to Mamaw's house and go through her things.  Each granddaughter got to pick a ring of hers and it is so, so special to me.  We also went through lots of letters and poems.  I wish I lived closer so I could go and spent a whole weekend just reading through them, but there was very little time for that with kiddos running around.


One special thing we found was my grandfather's Army hat...



and we also found a fresh folded flag the VA sent after Papaw died.  Mamaw never opened the box.  What special things to discover.



It's never easy or normal going through things, but it makes you think about what kind of legacy you want to leave behind.  I'm now the proud owner of several of Mamaw's kitchen gadgets, towels that she stitched herself, a single glass I remember drinking out of at their house when I was little, Mamaw's Bible (with verses underlined and things written in it.....so precious to have) and some fun pieces of her jewelry.  I know I'll always remember Mamaw being quiet, happy, and more than anything, we all knew that no matter what, she was always so proud of her grandkids (oh yeah, and GREAT-grandsons as well!)

1 comments:

Meme said...

beautiful tribute to your other 2 grandparents I never knew y'all found Papaw's Army hat - neat your daddy is going to take Papaw's flag and have it mounted properly. Mamaw loved her jewelry, even though she never wore it much - but she was proud of it. These are the things that no one can ever take away from you...................beautiful memories! Good job MA